Viktor Mayer-Schönberger is Professor of Internet Governance and Regulation at the Oxford Internet Institute / Oxford University. He is a sought-after expert for print and broadcast media worldwide.
After early successes in the International Physics Olympics and the Austrian Young Programmers Contest, Mayer-Schönberger studied in Salzburg, Harvard and at the London School of Economics. In 1986 he founded Ikarus Software, a company focusing on data security and developed the Virus Utilities, which became the best-selling Austrian software product. He was voted Top-5 Software Entrepreneur in Austria in 1991 and Person of the Year for the State of Salzburg in 2000. He has chaired the Rueschlikon Conference on Information Policy in the New Economy, bringing together leading strategists and decision-makers of the new economy. He was also a faculty affiliate of the Belfer Center of Science and International Affairs at Harvard University.
He is a frequent public speaker and his work has been featured in numerous magazines and newspapers like New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, The Economist, Nature, Science, NPR, BBC, The Guardian, Le Monde, El Pais, Die Zeit, Der Spiegel, WIRED, Ars Technica, and Daily Kos. In addition to his international bestseller “Big Data” (co-authored with Kenneth Cukier), Mayer-Schönberger has published eight books, including the awards-winning “Delete: The Virtue of Forgetting in the Digital Age” and is the author of over a hundred articles and book chapters on the information economy.
Professor Mayer-Schönberger is also on the boards of foundations, think tanks and organizations focused on studying the information economy. He advises governments, businesses and NGOs on new economy and information society issues.
- Big Data
- Data Governance
- Learning, Education and Big Data
- The Value of Forgetting in the Digital Age
- Data Security in a Data Age
- Information Power
- Internet Governance
- Framers: Human Advantage in an Age of Technology and Turmoil, 2021 (with Kenneth Cukier, Francis de Vericourt)
- Reinventing Capitalism in the Age of Big Data, 2017 (with Thomas Ramge)
- Learning with Big Data, 2014 (with Kenneth Cukier)
- Big Data: A Revolution That Will Transform How We Live, Work, and Think, 2013 (with Kenneth Cukier)
- Delete: The Virtue of Forgetting in the Digital Age, 2010 (with Kenneth Cukier)